What are the conditions for opening a Nickel account?
Nickel is open to anyone 18 years and older. Everyone is welcome, even people who have been banned from banking.
You can open an account if you:
- Are an individual: Nickel is an account for personal use (you cannot use it for a professional activity)
- Are legally capable: people under guardianship or trusteeship can open an account under certain conditions: for more information, contact Customer Services
- Have a main residence in Belgium
- Have a principal place of residence in France
- Are a tax resident in Belgium or in a country belonging to the European Union or EFTA (European Free Trade Association: Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, Switzerland).
- Have a valid mobile number and e-mail address
- Have a valid form of identification
What identity documents are accepted?
- A Belgian national identity card or an identity card issued by a European Union country.
- Passport: more than 190 passports are accepted
- Residence permit issued by a Belgian authority.
- Foreign students can open a Nickel account provided that the residence permit states that the holder is authorised to work.
A driving license is not accepted as an identity document.
When you open a Nickel account, you must send us a selfie and photo of your ID. Make sure you upload the original document and that it is in good condition, legible and fully visible in the photo. Otherwise, we will be forced to block your account until we receive a new photo.